Wednesday, May 03, 2006

William Shakespeare

"My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare."
Sonnet 130

I was going through some Shakespeare sonnets when this one caught my eye. When I first read it I was disgusted and thought to myself how is this love. What kind of romance is this? But I read over and over again and now I truly appreciate this masterpiece of art. We tend to compare our loved ones to the beauties of nature and praise them with comparing the human to the qualities of nature, but how many have compared a love one for who she really is. That she does not have eyes such as the sun, the reddest lips, fairest of breasts, the golden silky hair, the rose’s of cheeks, her breath is not the scent of perfume and her voice does not sound more pleasing then music. She’s just human, she’s not a goddesses, but u love her, you love her regardless of her beauty you love to see her, you love to hear, you love to be with her, that she is the best thing to you, that’s true love, when u can love a person for their flaws.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny...giltner went over this sonnet on friday in class...and ur right i think this is a very different way of speaking about a loved one but its a very honest and sincere way of describing love. interesting...

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home